Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hardware Boiled

Hard Boiled, John Woo's action classic, is one of the greatest shoot-em up movies ever made. Hard Boiled taught me a very important lesson; it doesn't matter how big, strong or fast you are, just what hardware you have. Now please don't mistake this allusion for me going on a shooting rampage like Chow Young Fat's character. I'm using this film as a metaphor for the importance of hardware. I expect cine-mate to have many users constantly updating profiles, preferences or discussing movie news. The only way I could proficiently run this website would be to have effective and efficient hardware at our headquarters.

I expect the main server computer to be suped up, in order to the site to function effectively. The computers running the site would need to have very advanced central processing units (CPU). These cpu's, or processor, carry out basic instruction that operate the computer. With all the activity on the site, I'd need a powerful processor to fix glitches and attend to problems. I would most likely invest in a quad-core processor, which contains four processor cores. I believe the Itanium quad-core processor from Intel would do the trick I would also need to purchase a lot of memory.

My server and other computers would need a healthy amount of random access memory (RAM). RAM is the memory that contains all the operating system files of the computer. I would most like invest in buying magnetoresistive RAM. This RAM is less volatile than others. It has great storage capabilities, uses less power and has faster access time then an electronic RAM.  Putting money into buying capable hardware is extremely important for the site to function. Especially in the first few weeks, any glitch will be a huge turn off for a user. Having fast and efficient hardware will allow the site to function smoothy and give me the opportunity to fix glitches and problems.

1 comment:

  1. Well written, nice job. How would you go about selecting what hardware you would use? Would you do a cost/benefit analysis? What do other businesses do before they purchase new hardware?

    ReplyDelete